SANDUSKY OH June 22 2017 — Police arrested 11 people at Cedar Point after a huge brawl, with people being pepper-sprayed and a man hit with a Taser when he attempted to take an officer’s gun.
A unruly crowd of hundreds believed to have been park patrons and Cedar Point staff encircled officers and combatants about 2 a.m. Monday outside the Cedar Point Commons Apartments in the continuation of an earlier altercation, according to police reports and Sandusky police Detective Sgt. Kevin Youskievicz. Multiple departments responded to disperse the crowd.
According to police reports, Carlos Demetrius Clayton, 19, of Cleveland Heights, Ohio was seen pushing through employees outside the apartments. When security guards tried to intervene, he started to fight them, prompting a Cedar Point police officer to join the fray.
During the struggle, staff and the officer got Mr. Clayton to his knees, when he reached behind him and tried to take the officer’s gun, according to police. At that point, another officer stunned Mr. Clayton in the back with a Taser, and he stopped struggling.
He was charged with assault on a police officer, aggravated robbery, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and underage consumption.
A crowd of several hundred people gathered around during the fray and began closing in on officers and yelling at them, causing them to tell the crowd to get back. Some did not, and either tried to intervene or stop officers from arresting members of the crowd, according to police. Multiple other fights broke out in the crowd.
Arrested along with Mr. Clayton were:
● Anthony Freeman, 18, of Shaker Heights, Ohio, charged with four counts of riot, along with failure to disperse and resisting arrest;
● Kainan Kordero-Kendrick Reed, 20, of Clinton Township, Mich., charged with riot and resisting arrest;
● Paula Ann Smith, 19, of Toledo charged with four counts riot, and a count each of failure to disperse, resisting arrest, underage consumption;
● Jakari J. Willis, 19, of Oak Park, Mich., charged with riot, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest;
● Russell Lee Donahue, 22, of Detroit charged with riot;
● Yulani M. Rodgers, 18, of Triangle, Va., charged with four counts riot, and one count each of failure to disperse, resisting arrest, and underage consumption;
● Roshown Baker, 18, of Detroit, charged with riot;
● Brittany Hawkin, 18, of Murfreesboro, Tenn., charged with four counts riot, and one count each of failure to disperse, resisting arrest, underage consumption;
● Angel Barnes, 18, of Harper Woods, Mich., charged with resisting arrest;
● Justin Eddie-Marquez, 21, of Detroit charged with four counts of riot and one count each of failure to disperse, resisting arrest, and underage consumption. His arrest occurred on the eve of his 21st birthday.
Detective Sergeant Youskievicz said police were not sure what prompted the brawl. An officer suffered cuts on her elbow and a finger, while a security guard had a swollen face from being punched.