BARBOURSVILLE AU March 23 2017 - The following information was provided by criminal complaints from Cabell County Magistrate Court:
The unlicensed security guard seen walking through Melbourne’s Bourke Street mall openly carrying a gun in the days after January’s deadly car rampage has been named as Aaron Purvis.
The former Victorian Football League player is expected to be charged with possessing a firearm after images emerged of him wearing tactical gear, armed with a handgun walking through the mall as people mourned victims of the attack five days earlier.
Mr Purvis was sacked from his job as a security guard last year after failing to show up for shifts, The Age reports.
His Facebook page shows a number of selfies and a quote saying: “When life gives you lemons, ask for something higher in protein.”
Images of Mr Purvis made headlines on Tuesday as they revealed he was able to walk freely and even visit a memorial while heavily armed.
He has been interviewed by Victoria Police about performing security work while unlicensed. The private security business he was working for is also being investigated.
“The company in question was the holder of a corporate firearm license and private security business license,” a police statement released on Wednesday said.
“Both of these licenses have been suspended and investigations are ongoing.”
Victoria Police said private security businesses are responsible for ensuring any individuals they employ are the holders of appropriately endorsed and valid licenses.
“Businesses who fail to do so could face charges,” a police statement said.
Six people died in the wake of the January 20 Bourke St rampages.
Police said investigations into the unlicensed guard are ongoing.