Sunday, March 26, 2017

1 dead, 15 wounded in Cincinnati nightclub shooting privateofficer.com

Cincinnati nightclub shooting

CINCINNATI, Ohio March 26 2017 - Cincinnati police responded to a mass shooting at the Cameo Night Club which happened about 1:30 a.m., Cincinnati police Chief Eliot Isaac said at a Sunday morning news conference.
Isaac also said that 16 people had been shot, one more person than originally reported.
Of the 16 people shot, 1 is dead, one is in "extremely critical" condition, and 14 are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries Isaac said.
There were also many people who suffered minor injuries while running from the shooting, Cincinnati fire Assistant Chief Roy Winston said at the news conference.
Police say that Obryan Spikes, 27, died in the shooting scene.
Investigators believe the shooting began after a fight broke out and that there was more than one shooter inside the club, Isaac said. Cincinnati police originally said that there was only one shooter.
Authorities are working to identify shooting suspects, and no arrests have been made.
"The conflict is believed to have begun between specific groups or individuals earlier in the day, escalating and ultimately leading to this tragedy occurring at the nightclub," Cincinnati City Manager Harry Black said.
Some of the victims were taken to area hospitals via ambulance, and others arrived via their own conveyance, police said.
According to the Gun Violence Archive, the Cameo Night Club shooting is the worst mass shooting -- in terms of victims -- in 2017, cincinnati.com reports. A mass shooting is defined as four or more people, not including the shooter, shot or killed in one incident.
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley reaffirmed at the news conference that the shooting does not appear to be a terrorist attack.
"However, to the victims, what difference does it make? They have been terrorized," Cranley said. "This is a country where you should be able to go out and have a good time and not be in fear of being shot."
One witness told WLWT News 5 that he heard the club's DJ call for security about 10 minutes before the shooting but we do not know if security was involved in the shooting or if any security personnel were shot.
Surveillance cameras were inside the club at the time of the shooting, police said.
The Cameo nightclub has had several issues in the past, authorities said. The club allows admission to anyone over the age of 18.
There were two shootings at the nightclub in 2015: one on New Year's Day, when someone was shot in the foot, and another in September, when a shooting victim was found in the parking lot.
Police have not said whether anyone is in custody, and the investigation is ongoing. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is helping Cincinnati police with this investigation.
Cincinnati restaurateur Jeff Ruby is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the shooting death, he tweeted Sunday.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at (513) 352-3040 or on their website.

No comments: