New Orleans LA Feb 14 2017 A state regulatory official said Sunday (Feb. 12) that the security employee injured in a Saturday night shootout with a robbery suspect at an Algiers daiquiri stand was not properly trained and certified as an armed guard and was working for an unlicensed company.
Fabian Blache, executive director of the Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners, said the wounded 42-year-old guard was employed by Mid-City Security LLC, a company that according to the state board's disciplinary website had been issued a cease-and-desist order on Jan. 19 to halt operations because it was both unlicensed and uninsured.
"Their company license expired Jan. 1," Blache said. "At that time, their insurance also lapsed and the company was issued a cease-and-desist order and a $1,500 fine. The owner had 15 days to pay the fine, but did not respond. The company's owner was notified but he chose to disregard it. And now we have an injured individual and he doesn't even have a workman's compensation policy."
New Orleans police said the 42-year-old victim was in good condition after exchanging shots with a would-be armed robber.
Blache said his agency already was in the process of seeking a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction against Mid-City Security over its failure to respond.
Blache said he spoke Sunday with the company's owner, Bernard Hollins, whom Blache said admitted to disregarding the disciplinary letter and fine, to operating without a valid license or insurance, and to providing the 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun the injured guard used during Saturday's confrontation. Attempts by the Times-Picayune to call Hollins at his company's listed business phone Sunday afternoon were met by a recording that said the number had been disconnected and was no longer in service.
New Orleans police said the guard was hospitalized in good condition after being shot by a would-be armed robber shortly before 10:30 p.m. at the Daiquiri Place, 3707 General DeGaulle Dr. Blache said he was told the guard sustained gunshot wounds to the face and abdomen.
According to Blache, the guard lacked the annual firearm training certification, registration and commission credential to work as an armed guard, even if his company had been in compliance and good standing with the state, which it was not.
"He was working for an unlicensed entity," said Blache, who urged other business owners to ensure their private security companies are in compliance with state regulators.
Blache said he did not know whether the guard had passed a required background check to ensure he had no felony convictions on his record. Online court records show the wounded man has no felony convictions in Orleans Parish, after being found not guilty when he was tried in 2002 on two counts of second-degree rape.